Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Day 4

Today I modeled one of the iron yokes for the LFEPR device using the FEMM software. Once I had the 2D  model completed I exported the data into Excel and started creating graphs. I created plots of the magnetic field above the yoke at 4 different points (at the center, 0.5mm from the center, 1mm from the center, and 1.5mm from the center). Shortly before lunch some of the other interns came and I showed them what I was doing. After lunch, I worked on converting the graphs of the measured magnetic field for the yokes from graphs of signal vs y to magnetic field vs y. Then I compared those to the graphs of the predicted magnetic field (the ones based off the FEMM models). I also converted the data I had from the FEMM model from inches to millimeters because the measured data was in millimeters. I am looking forward to learning more about my project tomorrow.

Here are some of my results:
This graph includes the data  from the measured and predicted magnetic field (the measured data is in blue, the predicted in red). I had to scale the measured data to make it fit with the predicted data. Once the data was scaled, however, it is clear that the FEMM model is fairly accurate.
The magnetic field is stronger at the left of the graph (where the Y values are lower).

 

1 comment: